Circular Economy is the concept that tries to steer us away from the linear concept of resource usage to create consumer goods that eventually get discarded, leaving us with a planet that will be unlivable sooner than we think. It is based on the ten R's:
- Refuse what you do not need.
- Rethink and make your use of products more intensive.
- Reduce and make production of items more efficient.
- Re-use choose second-hand over new products.
- Repair what you don't need to throw away yet.
- Refurbish to make stuff good as new.
- Remanufacture the good parts of failed products.
- Repurpose unneeded stuff for other uses.
- Recycle materials that can be reused.
- Recover the energy from materials not otherwise useable.
In general, the shorter the cycle, the better the result. So Refuse before Rethink, Rethink before Reduce, etc...